A Messy Home Is A Blessed Home

So a text from a friend yesterday got me thinking… it was actually as soon as I replied to her that I really began thinking and I realised that the advice I had given her was sound… though it wasn’t advice I had ever taken on myself!

Her text message was something we all think… and that’s the simple fact that as parents, our houses are never sparkling… because we have young children running around like whirlwinds all the time.  With their sticky fingers touching the tv, chocolate handprints up the stair walls, pencil and pen and crayon drawings artistically and spontaneously displayed on random doors and furniture.  As soon as we tidy up one area, they empty the toy box in another.  Legos EVERYWHERE…crackers and sandwich crusts under the sofa cushions… the list never ends.  My friend’s text also included that there were bite marks on the tv table.  This made me giggle to myself as I thought of the baby in ‘A Series Of Unfortunate Events’.

My reply was something along the lines of the following: “You gotta keep a spare tub of paint to cover up the marks and I got my floors because I was sick of having to get the carpet cleaned. It’s normal.  You’ll miss the sticky tv when they are grown and married and you’ll be begging for your grandchildren to come over and mess your home up a little.” I then thought of it this way…. “We’re LUCKY to have sticky tvs and marked walls.  Some people are out there now are wishing that their house could be a little less pristine.”

The more and more I thought about this the more it resonated with me and today I looked at my house a little differently.  I didn’t glance at the pencil on the walls and the clutter… and the things that were just not in their place, with the same exasperation as I did the day before.  I felt exactly what I wrote in my reply to my friend.  I felt lucky… SO lucky to have these two little terrors, destroying my furniture, walls and my sanity!!  A day will come all too soon, and these boys won’t live here anymore.  My house will be tidy and clean and I know it won’t feel the same.  I’ll miss it.

12 thoughts on “A Messy Home Is A Blessed Home

1. Rea says:

I can see myself from what you’ve written. I’m OC and I always wanted the house to be divine. I still cringe whenever I see a single mess but thankfully, I’ve controlled myself over the years and accepted the fact that I’m no longer living alone. LOL. So I call the house a beautiful mess. You’re right, we’re gonna miss the mess eventually! Dropping by from SITS 🙂

2. Jenny says:

I’m trying to go with this philosophy more and more. If there’s a mess it means my little one was having a good time and that should be my top priority, right? It’s a beautiful mess we’re bless to have. stopping by from SITS sharefest!

3. Andrea Jene says:

An excellent reminder! We are still unpacking from a beach trip and our toddler has been running like a blender without a lid. We call our home "lived in" and it gives us some breathing room to enjoy things just as they are today.

4. Jade says:

Awesome post. It’s something that’s always hard to remember as a mom, but can make a world of difference 🙂 Although I must say it’s easier to let go of the idea of always having everything clean now that I’m 8 months pregnant! I’m just a little more relaxed lately lol

5. Katie @ Pick Any Two says:

Thank you for this wonderful reminder. It’s perfect timing for me, as my toddler recently drew all over my couch. I’m grateful he did it in crayon, not marker! And most importantly, I’m grateful for him. :)Visiting from the SITS Sharefest.

6. Julie says:

You are so right, I always remind my hubbie that only boring people live in tidy houses! Makes me feel better at least! When you have a lot on/lots of interesting things to do the housework comes last. As long as people have clean clothes to wear, food to eat and nothing is dangerously dirty I think it’s all good.

7. Momma O says:

I wish my husband would let go of his OCD a little and understand that PEOPLE live in our house! But I will say this – he is scared that one minute it will be a little mess and the next thing you know it looks like an episode of HOARDERS. I guess it really depends on how messy things get and how the parents feel about it. We aren’t allowed to have sticky tv’s… never have. Walls get more banged up now that they are teenagers than when they were little – and they get to touch up the walls with paint. But one day they are all going to be gone and this house is going to be too quiet. 😦

8. Erin says:

Love this post so much, I think as mom’s we forget this and cut others a break even as we berate ourselves for the same issues! Thanks for the reminder to embrace the chaos!!Arrived at your blog through SITS Sharefest :-)www.mommaruns.com

9. Patty says:

Love this post! What a great reminder that our time with our babies is short, and we need to not sweat the small stuff, but rather enjoy them while we can.Have a great week!Stopping by from SITS

10. Venassa says:

Not to mention, if I had a pristine clean house, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself anymore :p Great advice though. It’s so hard to keep on top of the cleaning with little ones, but I’m slowly starting to care about it less.