I think I like the word ‘goals’ a lot more than I like the word resolution. To me the word ‘resolution’ implies something definite and unchangeable. SO MUCH PRESSURE. ‘Goals’ is a word that I like a little more because it implies that one is trying super hard in whatever area. There is no pressure, just a want to do better. It doesn’t mean you HAVE to reach your goal, but that you should try and keep trying. It’s just a little more light-hearted I think.
This year I have a ton of things I want to work on… I am never short of things I’d like to be better at/ change/ improve… maybe because I am an awful person? I’m kidding. I have a short list here of the things that are most important to me but I am also reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and intend to structure some goals throughout the year in a similar way to that in her book.
I love the new year. I am all about new starts, decluttering and making things better. 2014 is going to be exciting for our family, but scary too because James is due to leave his job on Feb 6th and will thereafter be self employed. It will all work out good but the pre-empt is scary.
Anyway… without further ado, here are some goals for 2014.
1. Be a better friend and make more of an effort to stay in touch with family.
2. Take a NICE photo of the boys/ our family each week.
3. Lose weight!
4. Pass my driving test. Failing 3 times this past summer really dented my confidence but driving is something I need to be able to do, for the good of me and the family. This year is hopefully my year. Scared.
5. Concentrate on getting to grips with my camera, build my portfolio and pay attention to growing my business.
6. Say yes more often. This is a goal I set every year because a) it’s important and b) because this is something I can always improve on. I am guilty of saying “in a minute” or “we will go it later”, when really the most important thing is the boys, chores etc can wait. I also need to consciously put my phone and computer away for a while and really absorb all the wonderful things that are happening in my day.
7. Try 20 new things. List to follow.
8. Take up yoga properly… properly meaning, do yoga for a good hour at least 3 or 4 times a week if not more. I dipped my toe into yoga in 2013 and loved it. I need to make time to get into it properly.
Wish me luck! I’m so excited for this year.